The Terem Palace resembles a fairy-tale creation with its checkerboard roof and 11 golden turrets. It housed the children and female relatives of noblewomen, and was built for Czar Mikhail Romanov, whose private chambers on the fourth floor were later occupied by his son Alexei. Many State functions took place here and in the Hall of the Cross. The czar received petitions from the populations in the Golden Throne Room. Only the czar's wife, personal confessor and blind storytellers were allowed into the private chapel and Royal Bedchamber, which is whimsically decorated. All the chapels of the Terem were united under one roof in 1681, including the churches of the Resurrection, Crucifixion, Savior and St. Catherine. Admission to the Terem is by the special permission only.