Directly in front of the Arsenal stands the three-story triangular building of the former Council of Ministers. Catherine the Great had it built in the classical style by Matvei Kazakov in 1787. After Lenin moved the capital from Petrpograd (St. Petersburg) to Moscow in 1918, the Soviet Government and the Bolshevik Party took up residence in the building. It is now used by the Senate; its large green dome is topped by the national flag. The plaque on the front wall shows Lenin's portrait and the inscription: "Lenin lived and worked in this building from March 1918 to May 1923."